If you have to ask me when Geek Pride Day is celebrated, you ought to be ashamed of yourself! (Okay, fine, not everyone who is a geek really knows about Geek Pride Day.) Tomorrow, May 25, has been designated as Geek Pride Day.
Its origins can be traced back to Spain, when it was first celebrated in 2006. Not only were the celebrations done all over the country, they also extended to the farthest reaches of the Earth, thanks to the Internet. Today, Geek Pride Day has gone a long way.
So what do you do on this special day? Believe it or not, there is a manifesto. Our rights as geeks:
1. The right to be even geekier.
2. The right to not leave your house.
3. The right to not have a significant other and to be a virgin.
4. The right to not like football or any other sport.
5. The right to associate with other nerds.
6. The right to have few friends (or none at all).
7. The right to have all the geeky friends that you want.
8. The right to not be “in-style.”
9. The right to be overweight and have poor eyesight.
10. The right to show off your geekiness.
11. The right to take over the world.
If we have rights, then we have responsibilities as well:
1. Be a geek, no matter what.
2. Try to be nerdier than anyone else.
3. If there is a discussion about something geeky, you must give your opinion.
4. Save any and all geeky things you have.
5. Do everything you can to show off your geeky stuff as though it were a “museum of geekiness.”
6. Don’t be a generalized geek. You must specialize in something.
7. Attend every nerdy movie on opening night and buy every geeky book before anyone else.
8. Wait in line on every opening night. If you can go in costume or at least with a related T-shirt, all the better.
9. Don’t waste your time on anything not related to geekdom.
10. Befriend any person or persons bearing any physical similarities to comic book or sci-fi figures.
11. Try to take over the world!
Tomorrow, let’s show ‘em what we’ve got! How are you planning on celebrating Geek Pride Day?