4 Things Every Good Nerd Cave Needs
The man cave gets too much attention in pop culture. You know, those rooms dedicated to things like projection TVs, football-themed décor, and indoor putting greens. Well, who said a man cave has to be inspired by sports? What about the nerd cave?
What Your Nerd Cave Really Needs
The first question you have to ask yourself is, what is the purpose of your nerd cave? The purpose of your cave will completely dictate how you design it and what you include. Generally speaking, there are three basic types of nerd caves:
- Exhibition. The first type of nerd cave is designed for the purpose of displaying collections. In other words, if you’re a big Star Wars memorabilia collector, your nerd cave would essentially be the space where you organize and display these items. Think of it almost like one big collector storefront.
- Lounging. The second type of nerd cave is designed as a personal escape or getaway. This is the place where you go to enjoy a drink, get away from the noise, and recharge. In this case, your nerd cave is designed solely for your own pleasure.
- Entertaining. The third type of nerd cave is designed for entertaining and gathering with friends. This type of cave is all about social get-togethers, group gaming, and having fun with friends. It’s simply an extension of the rest of your home.
Sometimes, there will be some overlap between the three, but most of the time people can determine which category their nerd cave falls into. And based on this category – and the purpose you have for your nerd cave – you can carefully choose design and decoration elements to properly reflect your tastes and interests.
4 Things to Consider for Your Nerd Cave
Without further ado, let’s take a look at some of the top things you should be considering for your nerd cave:
- Comic book gallery wall. Are you an avid comic book collector? Well, there’s no sense in stacking them on a bookshelf where nobody can enjoy them. Instead, you should proudly display them as a design feature in your nerd cave. Here’s one super cheap idea for a gallery wall using $1.99 Ikea frames.
- Personalized signage. Every good nerd cave needs to give honor to its owner. And while this may not be a traditional beer-inspired man cave, who says you can’t enjoy an adult beverage from time to time? If you have a nerd cave that’s designed for entertaining, consider adding a small bar cart with personalized signs like these.
- Unique coffee table. Every nerd cave needs a good coffee table. But who wants a boring table without any character? Bring some life to your coffee table by adding your own unique stamp. Check out this guide on how to turn a standard oval coffee table into a Batman logo. (You can also create different logos, but this one is pretty slick.)
- Action figure display. Surely you have an action figure collection – right? Well, much like your comic books, they need to be proudly displayed for all to see and enjoy. At the heart of any good nerd cave is a clever action figure display feature. Options include custom building a cabinet, running a shelf along the top of the room, installing shadow boxes, and more. Here’s a Pinterest board full of ideas.
As you can see, the ideas and options are limitless. Your nerd cave is only limited by your own creativity. Think outside of the box and don’t be afraid to come up with something that’s totally unique and different. Whether it’s for exhibition, lounging, or entertaining, you deserve the nerd cave of your dreams!