Bush is getting Pirates and Terrorists Mixed Up
President George W. Bush is looking to get tougher punishment for pirates of music, movies, software, etc… Bush has asked Congress to create new laws that would put these pirates behind bars more easily. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, said this needs to be done because the money is going towards terrorism … ? What this would do:
- A change in the law that would recognize a copyright in a criminal case before it is filed with the Register of Copyrights so authorities don’t have to prove that thousands of works pirated over the Internet are all copyrighted.
- Expand the forfeiture and restitution requirements so that equipment, goods, records and other items used or intended for use in piracy are forfeited to the government and to hold pirates criminally libel for restitution for damages to the rights-holder.
- Make it a crime to attempt to infringe a copyright.
- Increase the amount of jail time for repeat offenders
- Clarify that importing and exporting infringed goods is illegal
- Allow authorities to obtain a wiretap for suspects in intellectual property crimes.