So what are you doing tonight? If you don’t have plans yet, you might want to go out and celebrate International Beer Day (IBD) with your friends. IBD, which is celebrated on August 5, is the brainchild of genius Jesse Avshalomov. Together with Evan Hamilton, Aaron Araki, and Richard Hernandez, he founded the special day in 2007.
Why celebrate International Beer Day? The founders give a three-fold purpose:
- To gather with friends and enjoy the deliciousness that is beer.
- To celebrate the dedicated men and women who brew and serve our beer.
- To bring the world together under the united banner of beer by celebrating the beers of all nations and cultures together on this one remarkable day.
In keeping with the spirit of the “holiday,” here are some nice images about beer, courtesy of The Oatmeal. I’ve only posted a few of the images – see the link for the rest of them.
Try reading and memorizing these bits of information:
- When traveling and you’re unsure of the safety of the drinking water, drink beer instead. The alcohol makes it safe to drink!
- Beer in bottles should be store upright. This minimizes the effect of oxidation on the cap.
- Cenosillicaphobia is the name for “fear of an empty glass.” I am sure many will experience this fear tonight. ;)
Oh, and complete the night with some of these unmatchable quotes:
- You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. ~ Frank Zappa
- Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer. ~ Dave Barry
- All right, brain, I don’t like you and you don’t like me – so let’s just do this and I’ll get back to killing you with beer. ~ Homer Simpson
They’ll be sure to come in handy tonight when you’ve downed a bucket or so!
For a copy of the whole poster, you can go to The Oatmeal and purchase one.