[UPDATED: February 25, 2015]
Director J.J. Abrams talked to BBC News and has some interesting things to say about all the rumors and leaks surrounding Star Wars VII. In the report, the director says:
There are a ton of rumours -- some true, some false. But I’m grateful for everyone who would want to read a spoiler because it means that they care and want to see the movie.
So there it is, out in the open: some rumors are true.
The question now is which ones are true and which ones are false. If you haven’t read the leaks below, you ought to and decide which ones are the most plausible. If you’ve read them, why not read again and do the same?
If you hate spoilers, we think the title is warning enough, so if you continue reading and get upset, go cry in your corner.
If you like reading about leaks, speculating, and debunking other speculations, then go on.
Today’s Fandom Friday is going to focus on Star Wars Episode VII leaks, which we’ve gathered from all over the Internet. Remember, while they’re labeled leaks, there is no guarantee they’re a hundred percent true. But they certainly hold water.
Leaked concept art from about 4 months ago.
Spoiler Man from 4chan
In November of last year, a mysterious guy with the online name Spoiler Man made waves on 4chan with Star Wars Episode VII leaks. He claimed to be working for Lucasfilm, and Redditor raptorman76 has shared the leaks, as well as his opinion that Spoiler Man’s claims are plausible.
Here are some of the highlights of this particular leak.
- The film is dystopian and darker than Empire. Some 30-40 years have passed since Return of the Jedi, and the Empire and New Republic have been locked in a war of attrition. Everyone is languishing and sick of the war. The script, which is described as “too good for JJ Abrams”, begins in space, above a desert planet — presumably Tatooine.
- The current state of the war is described as being similar to the European theater of 1944, with the Empire being Germany and the Republic being the Allies. The Republic has finally taken the upper hand.
- John Boyega and Daisy Ridley are the male and female leads.
- Chewbacca’s life debt extends to Han’s whole family, and he is now sporting a robotic arm.
- Han takes a liking to Boyega. Throughout the film he is in love with Boyega’s decision to defy orders and ruin his career in the Imperial military. Han vouches for Boyega, having gone through something similar in his youth.
- Lando is in the script and has apparently become famous.
- Luke Skywalker has secluded himself from the galaxy, training only a handful of students since his exile. He fears for his future; as he comes closer to Yoda levels of power, he becomes more and more secluded. There are no Jedi in the open, but rumors persist that Luke has trained a few since the events of Endor.
- Luke first appears in Act II à la Obi Wan dropping his hood in A New Hope. He survives the movie.
There are tons more of details from Spoiler Man to be found here and here. Unfortunately -- or fortunately, depending on where you stand -- he says he is unable to say anymore as he has been found out and has practically been interrogated by his employers and doesn’t feel secure anymore.
Jason Ward of Making Star Wars pieces together bits of information to describe the opening sequences. While there is no video to support his “leak”, he is very confident about his information. So what happens? It starts with:
“…a lightsaber in space. It falls to the ground in a savannah environment during the day. It is quickly discovered by a farmer named Naka. Naka accidentally ignites the weapon and starts a fire with it. At first he runs, but then turns around and obtains the weapon. I assume he snatches the weapon so it is not destroyed in the fire. Naka then takes the weapon to his elder called The Vicar.”
There’s also mention of the Rebels being contacted by The Vicar, Poe Dameron coming to the planet, and BB-8 getting the lightsaber for safe-keeping.
For now, you have to imagine these things in your head using some of the concept art above.
Death of a Major Character
This is huge, and the same guy above is so adamant that this is no speculation. It is real. It’s been verified as having been shot at Pinewood. The short version:
- Han Solo is hiding.
- He shows himself to Kylo Renn.
- Finn, Rey, Chewbacca and BB-8 stop in their tracks.
- They watch as Han Solo confronts Kylo Ren. Kylo Rnn silences the conversation forever.
- Chewbacca lets out of a barrage of angry roars and laser blasts.
- BB-8 and Chewbacca flee to the Falcon.
Consider that Han Solo is never in a scene after this. You figure it out. Poor guy.
This may very well be the biggest leak of all, something we can’t recover from.
On Darth Vader
Are you sure you want more? Here’s one last bit, and obviously, it’s about the Sith Lord himself. According to Ro Sahebi of ikwiz, he got messages from a “source close to the Episode VII production”.
And some icing on top, James Earl Jones will still be the voice behind Vader. Not that that should be a question, should it?
Leaks, speculation, or rumor?
There certainly is a lot of noise to weed out when it comes to a production as big as Star Wars, but the above leaks seem to be the best -- or worst -- of the lot thanks to their sources. But, Star Wars fans, you’ve probably done your own analysis of the plausibility of these details. What do you think?
Aside: Star Wars: Episode VII will be released on December 18, 2015. I know you’re ticking off the days..