F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin – Coming Soon (13/02/09)
I’ve been lucky enough recently to play the demo of
Beginning shortly before the ending of F.E.A.R., a Special Forces squad is on a routine mission when the city of Auburn is rocked by a supernatural explosion. Alma, a girl with immense power and a thirst for revenge, has unleashed her wrath upon the city and thrown it into chaos. Tension builds as the squad must combat enemy forces and the supernatural as they struggle to find a way to stop Alma and uncover the mysterious forces arrayed against them before it’s too late.
So, how does the demo actually play out? Well, the slow-motion abilities of the player remain from the first game, meaning that you can tag enemies, shoot and watch them slowly flail through the air in true rag-doll fashion. Good? You bet.
What about the mechs that have been in some of the videos though? It’s safe to say that the studio responsible for Shogo: Mobile Armour Division have not disappointed. Whilst I’m not clear on whether there are different styles of mecha to play with, the power armour system makes you feel very powerful indeed and the infinite ammo chain guns and rockets are a delight to use. Oh, did I mention the brilliant destructible environments? You’ll love them.
The horror element that Alma and the strange enemies encountered from the first title remains prevalent in the sequel. There’s some influence taken from great horror movies as you’ll see poltergeist activity, ghosts and other strange sights as you explore the environments. Creepy? Definitely, though of course as there’s a lot of action the game is more balanced than the full on frightfest of Dead Space.
Overall, the graphics are good, the sound commendable and frankly it’s a title that I’m extremely excited about. Here are some of the things to look out for when it hits stores on 13/02/09:
* Experience enhanced destruction and frightening combat an inch from your face
* Utilise new weapons to combat against never before seen supernatural threats
* Slow down time using your character’s enhanced reflexes
* Battle intelligent enemies that employ advanced combat tactics and realistic behaviours
* Strategic environmental combat opportunities available to both you and your enemies in a variety of indoor and outdoor environments
* New faction system that pits enemies against you… and each other
* Utilise the new world interaction system to create instant cover or remove obstacles
* Play with and against friends in multiplayer competition