Rock Band 3 adds piano
A long-awaited holy grail of rhythmic games is finally coming to pass. Harmonix and MTV Games have just announced that Rock Band 3 is adding a piano keyboard to its collection of instruments — a collection that already includes guitar, bass, drums, and three microphones (for three-party harmonies). That’s seven players that can rock out together at one time.
Before you get too excited, I should point out that the new piano peripheral is a small, two-octave keyboard, sporting just 25 keys. The drum kit is getting an upgrade that includes three cymbals, and the two guitars available for Rock Band 3 will have actual strings.
As the world of simulated musicianship edges ever closer to realistic music playing, Harmonix has wisely chosen to include a Pro mode in Rock Band 3 that will teach you how to play your chosen instrument or instruments for real.
83 songs are being added to the Rock Band library with this entry, along with access to the Rock Band empire’s nearly 2,000-title song list. Among the new songs:
- Metric, “Combat Baby”
- Rilo Kiley, “Portions for Foxes”
- Them Crooked Vultures, “Dead End Friends”
- The Vines, “Get Free”
- The White Stripes, “The Hardest Button to Button”
- Phoenix, “Lasso”
- Ida Maria, “Oh My God”
- Juanes, “Me Enamora”
- Jane’s Addiction, “Been Caught Stealing”
- Smash Mouth, “Walkin’ on the Sun”
- Spacehog, “In the Meantime”
- Stone Temple Pilots, “Plush”
- Dio, “Rainbow in the Dark”
- Huey Lewis and the News, “The Power of Love”
- Joan Jett, “I Love Rock and Roll”
- Night Ranger, “Sister Christian”
- Whitesnake, “Here I Go Again”
- The Cure, “Just Like Heaven”
- Ozzy Osbourne, “Crazy Train”
- Queen, “Bohemian Rhapsody”
- Jimi Hendrix, “Crosstown Traffic”
- The Doors, “Break On Through”
Click here for a complete gallery of screenshots from Rock Band 3 and images of its peripherals.