Enter the bad boy of movie making: the Flip, an ultra-easy digital video camera that’s already taken America by storm. This camcorder is like Herman Munster: simple, sturdy, and with a heart of gold. The secret is that it’s so simple to use, anyone from 5 years to 105 can have a go: press the large button that says ‘on’, press the button that says ‘start’ and hocus pocus – you’re the cul-de-sac’s very own Stanley Kubrick all of a sudden.
Whether you’re shooting your dog dressed up like Yoda for a Star Wars re-enactment or simply your pal Dave falling off a fence in a priceless “You’ve Been Framed” moment, you’ll be amazed at how well the Flip Ultra stands up to the scrutiny of critics: with 2GB of memory on board, you’ve got enough brains in there for 60 minutes of filming at a crisp 640 x 480 pixels in MPG4 format. There’s no need to worry about the palaver of focusing – it’s automatic, and with a 2x zoom available you’ll be able to dispense with your Gaffer, Best Boy and all the rest of the crew.
Put simply, the camera is great for capturing small, fun clips that you don’t need at a mega-high resolution. At a price tag of only £99, it is cheap enough to suit every budget and if you don’t have the latest video enabled phone, this should definitely be a gadget to consider.
* Display: 1.5 inch TFT
* Memory: 2GB built-in memory holds up to 60 minutes of recorded video
* Weight: 97g (without battery)
* Image Sensor: 1/4″ VGA CMOS sensor. Large (5.6 µm) pixels for maximum light sensitivity
* Video Resolution: QVGA 640×480 pixels
* Video frame rate: 30 frames per second
* File format: Advanced Profile MPEG4 AVI
* Video Bitrate: 4.5Mbps (average – auto adaptive algorithm)
* Aperture: f/2.4 (fast lens for great results in low-light environments)
* Low Light Sensitivity: Very high sensitivity (>2.0V/lux-sec)